06. Can You Drink Coffee With PKD?
A look at the myths, research, and recommendations around coffee consumption and Polycystic Kidney Disease. Plus 3 Questions to ask yourself to help determine your best amount!
Episode Q&A at a glance:
- Is coffee safe to drink with Polycystic Kidney Disease?
- Does caffeine cause cyst to grow faster?
- What is a recommended "safe" intake of coffee that won't hurt the kidneys?
Stay in the know!
Sign up for the PKD Dietitan’s Newsletter
- The Effect of Caffeine on Renal Epithelial Cells from Patients with Autosomal Dominant Polycystic Kidney Disease (2002)
- Learn more about PKD and vasopressin
- Caffeine Accelerates Cystic Kidney Disease in a Pkd1-Deficient Mouse Model (2019)
- Caffeine intake by patients with autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease (2012)
- Chronic caffeine consumption exacerbates hypertension in rats with polycystic kidney disease (1998)
- Relationship between caffeine intake and autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease progression: a retrospective analysis using the CRISP cohort (2018)
- Long-term effect of coffee consumption on autosomal dominant polycystic kidneys disease progression: results from the Suisse ADPKD, a Prospective Longitudinal Cohort Study (2018)
- Genetic determinants of blood pressure responses to caffeine drinking (2012)
- Cardiovascular effects of caffeinated beverages (2019)